Address:969 Lake Avenue Greenwich, CT
Lunch Bunch/Extended Day:Yes
Session Length:September to June
Birthdate Cut-Off:August 1st
ABOUT:At Whitby, our Children’s House program is dedicated to educating our youngest learners beginning at 18 months old. The motto here is “Follow the Child”. In well-ordered, developmentally appropriate classrooms, under the guidance of expertly trained, experienced and caring teachers, children’s own love of exploration allows them to take the lead in their learning. Children’s House is designed specifically to foster social and cognitive development and to lay the foundation for learning in multiple academic areas. Different learning sections of the room thoughtfully encourage children to explore practical life activities, sensorial experiences, math, language, culture and science. Students in Children's House learn to approach new challenges with confidence. They are empowered as readers, writers, critical thinkers and mathematicians to become creative, well-informed, passionate and joyful learners and citizens of the world. Respected as individuals, our students think for themselves and are ready to begin their journey of learning and discovery.
• Each child is guided in his or her own learning within the structure of our Montessori/International Baccalaureate program, which is supported by best practices in preschool education.
• The unique flexibility of our curriculum allows us to continually challenge each child at his or her own pace.
• Individualized attention is achieved by our very low student/teacher ratio of 5:1 in Stepping Stones and 8:1 in Primary.
• We highly value our close working relationships with our families. This partnership is fostered through ongoing, personal communication as well as multiple conferences each year.
• The multi-age classroom stimulates enthusiasm for learning and inspires independent thinking.
• All Whitby teachers have undergraduate degrees with extensive experience in the classroom and at least one of the classroom teachers has completed Montessori and IB Training.
• We provide a large outdoor, as well as an indoor space, specifically designed to meet the young child’s need for gross motor development.
• Our program includes regularly scheduled enrichment activities which may include Spanish, Mandarin, music, art, yoga or dance, each taught by teachers that are specifically trained in these disciplines.
Enrollment Process & Dates:
Early Childhood Exploration:
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 and Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:30am.
Toddlers, preschoolers and kindergarteners are invited to Whitby’s campus for a morning filled with hands-on activities and exploration. Hands-on activity centers will include Art, Spanish, Movement, and a variety of sensorial Montessori materials that are used in our early childhood classrooms. More information and registration here.
Annual Open Houses: Sunday, November 4, 2018 @ 1:00pm. Register here.
Informal introduction to program and school community: second Wednesday of every month @ 9:30am, through 3/15. Register here.
Friday, December 14: Application deadline for 2019-20 school year
Friday, January 25: Deadline for student visit, parent visit and supplemental forms for all applicants
Friday, February 22: Admissions decisions posted to our Online Admissions Portal
For additional admissions information, click here.