No School, What to Do: Ocean Day
Don’t forget to check out our “stay busy while school is closed” post for a ton of other fun ways to stay busy from home!
If your little one likes today’s theme, they might also enjoy Sports Day or Transportation Day!
We rounded up our favorite ocean-themed activities for you to enjoy while we dream of long, summer days at the beach…with friends…and family…or really any other human standing closer than 6′ away from us.
- go fishing for letters, animals, or shapes (add soap for extra fun!)
- print & play this ocean memory game
- create a cereal box aquarium or paper plate fishbowl
- make an ocean in a bottle
- print & play ocean bingo
- create a magical under the sea play world
- build LEGO ocean animals
- print these colored fish & practice identifying the colors
- make a coffee filter jellyfish or egg carton crab
Join the Atlantic White Shark Conservatory for a live Shark Story Hour at 10am EST! Listen to a shark story and participate in a shark Q&A. They even have some worksheets for slightly older kiddos to complete after the storytime! All stories are saved on their page if you can’t make the live reading. Three additional virtual story times are:
- Down by the Bay (also a sing-a-long…one of our favorites!)
- Clark the Shark
- The Rainbow Fish
Visit National Geographic Kids’ fish page for fun facts and pictures of our favorite sea creatures!
Play the Splash and Bubbles game (or watch videos and do activities) on PBS Kids.
It’s time to get moving and grooving with Dance on the DL! At our request, they created this super fun video for young hip hoppers to dance along to! They also created a family fitness video that the whole family can do together– all you need is a roll of toilet paper!
Jokes & Riddles
- Q: How do we know that the ocean is friendly?
- A: It waves.
She Sells Seashells by the Seashore
She sells sea shells by the sea shore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I’m sure she sells seashore shells.
Take a virtual field trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium by tuning in to one of their many live webcams!
Follow along with Art for Kids Hub and draw one of these sea animals:
- Crab walk around the room (or yard)! How fast can you make it around the kitchen table three times?
- There are a TON of Cosmic Kids Yoga videos about the ocean. Check them out:
Make tv time more fun by laying out a beach towel and opening up a beach chair! There is an endless list of movies and shows about the ocean. We’ve listed some of our favorite below!
- The Reef
- Finding Nemo
- Finding Dory
- A Turtle’s Tale
- Disneynature Oceans
- Dolphin Tale
- Free Willy
- The Little Mermaid