Resources for Moms
Coming from a mom who considers herself extremely #blessed EVERY. SINGLE. DAY that she gets to call two sweet, smiley, giggly girls her own: there is absolutely nothing harder or more frustrating than being a mom!
Lucky for me, I have a wonderful network of family and friends both near and far that I can use as a support system when I’m deep in the trenches of motherhood. However, as lucky as I am, there were (and still are) plenty of days where I felt alone, scared, and quite simply OVERWHELMED with the job of keeping (often-times) helpless & (usually) innocent little beings thriving in this crazy world!
Whether you are new to the area (welcome!), a first-time mom (hang in there!), or just a mom who finds herself yearning to connect with other moms: I have curated a list of resources that I truly hope gets at least one of you moving one foot in front of the other and out of the fog you may be in!
Lastly. Being a mom is hard AF. And if nobody has told you today, this week, or even this month, allow me: you are doing an amazing job! You barely sleep, barely shower, barely eat and somehow you are DOING IT. Please be patient with yourself and take one hour at a time. If you are going through a good phase– awesome! Enjoy every second and celebrate! If you are going through a rough patch– it will not last forever. It feels like it now, but it won’t. I promise.
Seriously lastly now. Please, please, PLEASE always know that if you don’t have the strength to get connected with any of the below resources and are struggling with anything (related to motherhood or not): I AM HERE FOR YOU! You are not alone.
Busy Little Bee Partners: “Help from the Hive”
The Parent Collective & Hillary Catherine offer weekly advice to Busy Little Bee users in our newsletter section “Help from the Hive”. To submit questions to either of them, email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org. And to have their priceless parenting advice delivered right to your inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter here! You can also view archived questions and answers here.
Westport moms Melissa & Jessica are the wonderful women behind The Parent Collective! The Parent Collective offers prenatal & postnatal classes in a truly judgement-free and personal way– thank you, ladies! Inspired by the National Childbirth Trust of the UK (where they both delivered babies of their own), classes are designed to provide unbiased information while fostering open discussions & establishing life-long friendships. One of the coolest features of their prenatal classes is that they sort participants by neighborhood & due date so you can make local friends while prepping for baby! Once your little one has arrived, the help continues with their parenting workshops which cover topics ranging from feeding support, helping older children adjust to baby, achieving developmental milestones through play, baby nutrition & so much more! Their website has loads of informative videos for both expecting & new parents, along with a long list of local resources. Melissa & Jessica genuinely want to ease the stress & anxieties that come along with pregnancy & parenthood, and they are doing just that with The Parent Collective. Classes are currently offered in Greenwich, Fairfield, Westport, & NYC.
Hillary Catherine Sleep Consulting
Hillary Catherine is a Cincinnati native now living in Fairfield County, and it was not that long ago that she found herself feeling the same way many of us do today: TIRED. Convinced she was doing what was best for her son, she was waking up with him many times throughout the night. After reaching the point of exhaustion, Hillary hired a sleep consultant who completely changed her family’s life. Inspired by this new life of lighter days (and a happier baby), Hillary decided to become a sleep consultant herself. Hillary has dedicated years to learning how to help children and parents lead happier and healthier lives. She has two masters degrees from Columbia University, where she studied psychological counseling with a focus on children. While earning her bachelor’s degree in psychology from Indiana University, she studied child development, counseling psychology, positive psychology and parenting and family studies. Hillary believes that a well rested child is happy, curious, and ready to take on challenges. Let Hillary help you find your sleep!
Greenwich Hospital Tender Beginnings Program
- The nursing staff is available 24 hours a day by phone (203.863.3569). Feel free to call the “WarmLine” any time! You will have the opportunity to discuss with the nurse how you’re adjusting and any concerns or questions you might have.
- Lactation Support
- Call 203.863.4226 between 8am-2pm.
- Help At Home
- Au Mere Service that provides a helper in the home to “mother the mother,” or for assistance with the new baby, please contact our Tender Beginnings Coordinator at 203.863.3655.
- Mommy and Me Yoga
- This hour-long class offers gentle exercises, meaningful poses and thoughtful meditations in the traditions of Kundalini Yoga. Strengthening, stretching, toning and balancing techniques help achieve mind/body/soul harmony during this often intense, emotional and glorious postpartum period. Bond with your baby and meet other moms, too. For new moms and their babies, ages 6 weeks-9 months. Classes meet every Thursdays from 11:30am-12:30pm. $25 per class. Sign up here!
- Newborn Mothers Group
- A 4-week course addressing the needs of the newborn (under 4 months of age), and the physical and emotional adjustments of parenthood. Designed for mothers who recently have given birth. Topics include: Birth Experience: Adjustment, Love and Sleep; How Do We Learn to Become Parents?; Who Was I Before I Became a Mother?; and Self-Esteem—Mom and Baby. Led by a postpartum registered nurse. Classes meet every Tuesday from 9:30am-11:00am. $100 per 4-week session. Sign up here!
- Parents Exchange
- Parents Exchange offers a variety of parenting classes and support groups that are divided according to the age of your child, from 4 months through high school. Build on your strengths and develop new insights from other moms and dads facing similar experiences. Participants have made lifelong friendships in this safe and nurturing environment. Groups meet weekly for 1.5 hours, and are led by qualified child development specialists over a 14-week semester. Call 203.863.3794 for information and registration form.
Norwalk Hospital Postpartum Care
- New Mother’s Help Line
- Our 24-hour telephone help line provides support for new mothers after they go home from the Childbirth Center. Call 203.852.2323.
- Lactation Support
- To contact our lactation consultants please call 203.852.3390.
- Mom’s Circle
- Moms with newborns are invited to attend the weekly group supporting the new chapter of their lives. Discussions may include adjusting to the role of mothering, changes in sleep, returning to work, time for self. Moms are welcome to attend the weekly group with babies up to 3 months of age and are expected to register monthly. Classes meet Wednesdays from 12:00pm-1:30pm. Free! Call 866.642.9355 for dates and registration information.
Stamford Hospital Post Delivery Care
- Maternity Department
- Call 203.276.7030
- Mother’s Group
- Congratulations on parenthood! Now you have the opportunity to make lasting friendships with other new moms. So, we invite you and your baby to join us for informal discussions on parenting topics like nutrition, infant growth and development, family adjustment, and returning to work. Classes meet Wednesdays from 11:00am-1:00pm. $50 per 6 sessions or $10 per individual session. Sign up here!
*Please note that some of these hospital-run programs are only for patients who delivered at the respective hospital.
Many pediatricians offer a new mom’s support group to help ease the transition into motherhood. Call yours today to find out if they are one of them!
The Rowayton Parents Exchange, best known as the RPE, is an association of parents with young children that was formed over ten years ago with the aim of helping parents meet other parents in the area as well as engaging our children in fun and fulfilling activities. Now, the RPE members include close to 100 families (and growing!) who live in Rowayton and the surrounding communities. Each month, we host events that appeal to moms, dads, couples, and children that range from coffee dates, crafts, music classes, gym excursions, nature walks, cocktail parties, full blown theme parties, and so much more. So whether you are parents of a newborn, new to the area, a stay at home parent, full time working parent, or somewhere in between, the RPE has opportunities for you and your family.
- Network of Working Women
- International Club
- Newcomers Club
- Single Moms Club
Moms of Preemies – FFC & Beyond
Led by fellow preemie parents, we share our stories and triumphs, and most importantly.. listen to and support each other. Our experiences and journeys are all different, but we do share a common bond – our sweet children made their arrival a little too early – all of them are fighting or fought very hard.. some made it home, and some sadly we miss every single day. We’ll share the roller coaster rides we are on and/or have been on. We’re here to lend an ear, share experiences and cheer each other on.
Whether you are a soon-to-be mom, first-time mom or seventh-time mom, you are welcome here. Whether you are an adoptive mom, young mom, seasoned mom, foster mom, stepmom or any other type of mom, you are welcome here. Whether you prefer to meet with other moms in a coffee shop, church, park, living room or video chat, we have something for you.
We are a support group designed just for the at-home mother. You are interested in the world around you, want a variety of activities for you and your children, and are proud of your choice of at-home mothering for your families! You need a support group that understands your special needs as an at-home mother and we’re it!
A welcoming group of moms to children ages 0-4 living in Lower Fairfield County. We are always up for play dates, library events, museum visits, special events, outdoor activities & mom’s day/night out events! We request that members participate in at least one event per month.
Moms of Multiples of Lower Fairfield County
Membership in MoMs gives you access to our website, forums, famous spring and fall tag sales, playgroups, and invitations to all our meetings and events. There are fun events for our children (including our popular Halloween Party, “Spring Fling,” and Children’s Day at Lake Compounce), and even a MoMs Night Out and MoMs Holiday Party for our MoMs! Whatever stage you are in, you can benefit from first hand experience from MoMs like you who have already “been there, done that.”
Neighbors & Newcomers of Westport
YWCA Darien/Norwalk Newcomers Club
La Leche League of Connecticut
An organization dedicated to helping families provide human milk for their babies, through peer-to-peer support, encouragement, information, and education. Volunteer Leaders provide monthly support meetings throughout the state. The mission of La Leche League International is to help families reach their own personal breastfeeding goals and to promote a better community understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby, parents, and community.
Fitness With Your Little One!
- Mommy & Me Yoga
- This class provides new mothers the opportunity to regain strength, flexibility and muscle tone, while playing, engaging and bonding with their new baby. Ages 6 weeks to pre-crawling. Classes meet every Tuesday from 12:45pm-1:45pm. More info & sign up details here!
- Baby & Me Yoga
- Stretch, breathe, and build strength in this playful gentle class designed for both caregiver and baby. This class incorporates asana, pranayama (breathing techniques), songs, and infant massage to nurture the bond with baby while exploring movement and connecting with other new caregivers. Look for a class on the schedule here!
- Mommy & Me Yoga
- This class is a blend of time spent bonding with baby but also rebuilding your own practice. We all know that motherhood brings with it many joys but also a new body. Mommy and Me is a chance to practice and spend time with your baby. This class is more focused on you, but will incorporate your baby and allow you to take care of yourself as you take care of your baby. Ages 6 weeks to pre-crawling. Classes meet every Wednesday from 11:15am-12:00pm. Sign up here!
- Check the workshop section of Kaia Yoga’s website here for upcoming workshops that may be of interest to you!
- Mommy & Me Yoga (Babes Plus One!)
- Savor some time with your little one while moving and breathing together! Enjoy flow, partner poses, meditation and more to build confidence, intuition and connection. Check the workshop section of Sama Yoga’s website here for upcoming mommy & me class offerings!
- Mommy & Me Yoga
- Mom and baby will practice yoga together! Moms will restore and rejuvenate through stretching and strengthening poses. Babies will enjoy yoga poses to aid in digestion & sleep. This class is a great opportunity to bond with your baby and to connect with other moms. No yoga experience required. Check out the Babies class here and Tots class here!
- Music & Movement
- It’s a family music experience! Each child participates at their own level — listening, singing, dancing and exploring musical instruments. Within our playful, relaxed environment, we share age-appropriate songs and rhymes from around the world. Check out the class here!
- Check the workshop section of Family Tree Yoga’s website here for upcoming workshops that may be of interest to you!
Go Figure Barre Studios, Darien
- Mom and Baby Figure Method Barre
- This class is tailor made for moms and babies up to 9 months of age. Taking into consideration the unique postural alignment and core musculature issues related to the Post Natal period, this class provides a safe and effective barre fitness program as well as information about how to modify exercises in the first year after birth. We will discuss common issues such as pelvic floor dysfunction and abdominal separation (DR) all while moving and bonding with our little ones. Classes are offered at the Darien location!
FIT4MOM is the country’s largest fitness program for moms offering pre and post-natal fitness classes for every stage of motherhood. We offer local programs from Greenwich to Norwalk in lower Fairfield County. Programs include 5K training, Moms Club playgroups, Stroller Strides, Stroller Barre, Body Back and Fit4Baby. Class schedules are here.
There are a number of music classes, storytimes, and other stimulating activities in the area that welcome babies of all ages! Don’t be shy about taking your infant (who potentially has no idea what is going on) to a class simply because YOU need to get out of the house! This is a judgement free zone! Be sure to select “0-1” under the age filter on our homepage to see some options! We especially love Hartbeeps for the really little ones!